[olug] RH 7.1 and FTP

Phil Brutsche phil at giedi.obix.com
Tue Aug 7 00:34:12 UTC 2001

On 06 Aug 2001 13:17:01 -0500, LP wrote:
> Greetings,
>          I'm experiencing a serious delay when trying to open a FTP
> connection from my WinBlows desktop to my RH 7.1 box.  The delay for the
> login/password prompt is taking about 30 seconds.

Sounds like the name lookup is timeing out.

> Of course these are connected via Linksys Router. ( I know, I know, if I had
> some extra money, I'd buy a real router.)

There is nothing wrong with the little blue and black Linksys gateways.
They're perfect for a home user like you.

Hell, *I* would use one if I didn't use my Linux firewal for more than a
router (it also doubles as a VPN server and mail server).

Oh and the Linksys boxes *are* real routers.

> My concern is, it use to be instantaneous.  That is, the login/password
> prompt occurred in a snap of the fingers.  My telnet session opens
> that fast, it's just the FTP.  I don't have a firewall enabled on the
> RH box.  I've been wrestling with this for about three weeks and I'm
> opening the floor for discussion.

Definitely a name lookup timing out.  Assign the Windows system a name
on the Linux box in /etc/hosts and you're done.  There should already be
values in /etc/hosts that you can use as an example.

--

Phil
(yes I know someone already answered but I feel like answering questions