[olug] NFS & @Home Networking

Joe Vernon jv80123 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 6 18:44:16 UTC 2001

I've been using Linux for about 2 years now, but I don't have very much
experience with networking, mainly because I only had one computer. Recently
I did pick up a second PC. Setting up @Home was a breeze. I purchased a
second IP address from Cox, I got an old 10 MBit hub from a friend who
didn't need it, and I had it working very quickly. I then wanted to set up
some NFS shares between the 2 machines. I read the NFS howto and I managed
to set everything up without much trouble. My problem is that whenever I
send anything back and forth with NFS it seems to be going through the
internet as I am getting stuck with @Home's 256 Kbit upload cap which is
painfully slow for large files. How do I make this NFS traffic stay local
and use the full 10 Mbit transfer speed? I would imagine this involves
setting up some type of local IP addresses. Can this be done without adding
more NIC cards? I know the cards are cheap but I would really like to avoid
adding any new hardware if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help