[olug] linux install

Jon thechunk at thechunk.dhs.org
Fri Aug 3 14:39:17 UTC 2001

Very easy to diagnose your problem.
The kernel panic is because the kernel that was loaded doesn't have support for your ata card.  When your kernel is missing native support for the drive or is missing support for the file system that is root it will panic and freeze.  Bascially you need to install either a custom kernel or find one of mandrakes that supports your ata 66 card.  your other option is to put a root partion on a drive connected to the motherboards ide and have the drivers for your card compiled as a module.  Anyway I hope this is clearer than mud.  Building custom kernels I have made the mistake more than once of not including support for ext2 and i get that error on boot.  Because modules reside in the filesystem you have to compile support for your root filesystem into the kernel.