[olug] cd-rom drive

Mike Peterson mpeterson at charles.coxatwork.com
Wed Aug 1 16:59:55 UTC 2001

Can you supply some info about your hard drive for Diagnosis purposes?
What size?
What speed?
What brand?
Do you still have the old hard drive in the system as a data drive?

I installed a new 15 GB Maxtor in a system and left the old 4 GB Maxtor in
as a slave.
I tried installing Mandrake 8.0 to part of the 15 GB and it appeared to CD
problems for me also.
I pulled a new 44X CD of the shelf and put it in place of a 24X or slower CD
and the install started but it took almost 2 hours to install and never
finished. Normally I have been able to install Mandrake on most systems in
less than 30 minutes.
I used CTRL-ALT-F1 thru CTRL-ALT-F4 to look at the load screens and found
out that the old 4 GB HD that I was not trying to access was not responding
and this appeared to be causing the problems. I removed power from the drive
and restarted the system and the install went as fast as it usually does.
Let me know if this helps.