[olug] portsentry

Phil Brutsche phil at fury.brutsche.org
Wed Sep 27 20:26:13 UTC 2000

> I installed portsentry on this box just like I had it before but before
> my firewall rules weren't right (basically I had no firewall......yikes)
> Now when I boot up portsentry starts but when I try and test it by
> scanning myself with nmap the logs show no scan,is this because my
> firewall is blocking the scans or do I have something  misconfigured in
> portsentry?

The firewall is blocking the scans - remember that the script I sent
denies almost *all* incoming connections.  The kernel is blocking the
connect attempt by nmap before portsentry even sees the connect attempt.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

"There are two things that are infinite; Human stupidity and the universe.
And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein