[olug] emacs book

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Wed Sep 27 09:39:27 UTC 2000

Just to beat this topic to death, I prefer emacs for larger, multi-file
projects such as my 180-ish page dissertation written in LaTeX, the
10,000+ line radiation treatment planning software I once worked with,
my 62-file programming project for creating bifurcation diagrams, or
building web sites.  I find the file modes and other features unique to
emacs helpful in these cases.  I prefer vi for smaller, quick and dirty
tasks such as small scripts or programs, notes about other projects, or
making similar edits to a large number of files.

While working on a MATLAB project a few months ago, I discovered another
feature that I really like in an editor.  The MATLAB editor under
Windoze (and probably under UNIX/Linux) uses tabs at the bottom of the
window to index multiple open files.  This saves screen real estate and
keeps all of the files you're working on accessible.  There is a Gnome
editor intended for programmers available that uses the same approach.
It's called Glimmer and is available from Sourceforge at
http://glimmer.sourceforge.net.  (The author keeps changing the name.
It may be something else by the time you look for it.)  Glimmer also
indents and highlights, features that I appreciate, for many different
languages and is very configurable.
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington