[olug] RedHat 7.0 available

Phil Brutsche phil at fury.brutsche.org
Wed Sep 27 00:50:37 UTC 2000

> Ok I think I got it locked down.

You should check to make sure it wasn't broken into while you weren't
looking - it certainly wouldn't hurt.

> I installed NcFTPd for the FTP server since the creator was from UN-L.
> I know it may not be the best reason but it's better than nothing.

Don't usually see much from that one...

> Now I only have ports 21 for ftp
> 25 for smtp and 6000 for X11 open.  Is there anyway for the X11 port
> not to be seen by the outside?  I'm leaving SMTP open so that if
> somebody sends email to root at ee-epenne.unl.edu I can have it forwarded
> to an email account that I will notice.

Easiest way to block 600x is to use ipchains to dissalow access to the
range 6000:6010 from anyone but 129.93.11.112 and 127.0.0.1.

> The first disc of Redhat 7.0 is available for download in the
> redhat/images directory and the rest of the discs r on their way.

You need to upgrade your ethernet card and hub - I'm only getting
738Kbytes/sec...

> ee-epenne.unl.edu with anonymous login and email as password. Not the
> password thing makes any difference at all.

PS: I'm getting such a high speed only because Creighton has a DS-3 (or
something like that) to UNL for internet connectivity.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

"There are two things that are infinite; Human stupidity and the universe.
And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein