[olug] firewall dump

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Sun Sep 24 13:14:21 UTC 2000

Hey Gary,

Netscape attached text files inline, which is why you weren't certain if
you attached the file.  Don't worry about it.  It was easy to extract
the attachment using vi.

As for the lines from your file, I used hexedit and the ascii man page
to ascertain exactly what characters were in the lines.  (See the man
pages for hexedit and ascii.)  The lines you sent consisted of

\n
exit 0\n
\n
99 tabs\n
\n
\n

According to the pico man page

	Lines that continue beyond the edge of the display are
	indicated by a '$' character at the end of the line.

(Apparently the pico development team is not happy with this behavior
because it is listed under the Bugs section of the man page.  Emacs uses
a backslash for the same purpose.)  Rather than just moving through the
file, you created a line in the file consisting of 99 tabs, which
occupied several lines in the editor.  I suspected something like this,
which is why I suggested using wc to count the lines.  This line
probably exceeds the shell's maximum line length resulting in the error.

You can use hexedit to see and remove the tabs.  The hexidecimal
representation of a tab in ascii is 09.  Look at the hexedit and ascii
man pages for details.

Oh, and did I mention that you should look at the hexedit and ascii man
pages? ;-)

Mark
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington