[olug] Invalid ICMP error to a broadcast???

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Wed Sep 20 01:32:32 UTC 2000

> Annoyingly, I get the following message displayed about every 20 seconds
> to my console:
> "24.7.72.105 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast"
>
> Thats not one of my IP's.
>
> Is this an attack or do I have something configured wrong?

It's not an attack (I think...); 24.7.72.105 is misconfigured or is
otherwise screwed up.  I've got a comptuer at Creighton University that
saw these messages every 5 seconds from their VAX until I found a way to
get the kernel to ignore the packets.

Run

syctl -w net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses = 1

(or put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local).

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

"There are two things that are infinite; Human stupidity and the universe.
And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein