[olug] addendum/correction and more ways of helping yourself

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Sun Sep 17 19:34:00 UTC 2000

You're right, Vincent.  Many programs can be run in debug or verbose
mode without recompiling.  I should have mentioned that.  Otherwise,
compiling a debug version of a piece a software and using gdb can be
useful.

I've used gdb a fair amount but didn't mention it because it's primarily
useful if you're developing software or trying to port it to your system
rather than just trying to use it.  I could talk about it but
considering how successful I've been at getting to the meetings over the
past few months...  Of course, agreeing to talk might be the motivation
I need to get there.  But if there's a true expert out there, I would be
happy to defer to him or her.
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington