[olug] openssh

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Sun Sep 10 22:36:39 UTC 2000

Aaron Grothe wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Speaking of weire.  I'm currently writing the OpenSSH howto.  You can see a
> really early draft of it at
>
> http://cran.seul.org/~anand/linux/openssh.shtml
>
> This is largely the work of one of the co-authors and is still really early.
> I'll mail out a pointer to the more complete OpenSSH howto when it is ready for
> review.
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron

I think I figured it out.  I have, in sshd_config, the PermitRootLogin
line set to without-password.  This is required for what I'm doing and
the hostbased authentication.  Anyway, when this is set, password
authentication for root is not allowed.  I have bo idea what the logic
is for that...

When I setup RSA authentication, that problem will be releived though.
I'm running rhosts authentication now since it's the quickest to setup.
Now I can use scripts I've written to copy the correct configs and files
to all the systems without having to go to each one manually.

I can provide some extra stuff and help for your documentation if you
would like.  For example, creating scripts like those I mentioned.  Here
a generic one which executes a command on all systems listed in the file
allsystems (output comes back to you):

word-wrap will probably mangle this:

#!/bin/bash
HN=`/bin/hostname | cut -d. -f1` ; export HN
if [ $1 ]
then
echo SSH COMMAND is  $@
for m in `cat /usr/local/etc/allsystems | grep -vi $HN`
do
ssh $m /bin/hostname | /bin/cut -d. -f1
echo "*****"
ssh $m $@