[olug] Amateur Fortress Building in Linux

Daniel Pfile pfiled at marietta.edu
Sun Sep 10 16:57:11 UTC 2000

Thought those of you having fun with inetd may be interested in this
article on replacing inetd with tcpserver.

Be sure to check out the article even if you don't wanna play with
tcpserver. The author mentions a few other things Dan Bernstein has wrote,
including a replacement for dns (bind holes anybody?), ftp, mail (go
qmail!) and lots of other nice toys. All with security guarantees.

If this software is so great, why isn't it in my distro you may ask. Well,
DJB's license is restrictive. It doesn't allow people to ship modified
versions of his software. Or even binaries. The Linux-For-The-Masses
distros don't like this, since they can't transmogrify the package into
their own security nightmare beast. So they don't. Trust me though, qmail
is worth the hassle. So are a few other tools he has written.

| Daniel Pfile        | I'm too cool for a signature |
| pfiled at marietta.edu |                              |