[olug] services

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Sat Sep 9 17:55:19 UTC 2000

mesc wrote:

> Thanks Vincent this part is all coming together and it's making  sense so S10network
> starts wel before S80postfix right?What's the difference between kill and stop
> though?And this  part still  confuses me>>"Weh it's run with a "K""..could you
> reprase that for me please?
>
>             Thank you,Gary Martin

This is in simple terms since I don't know how well you can read
scripts.  If you look at one of the scripts in init.d you'll see there
are different sections.  These are usually start, stop and restart
(sometime status or others).  These are command line options.  When you
run /etc/rc.d/init.d/identd with no options it will tell you which are
available.  If you run init.d/identd stop , it will go to that section
of the script, which contains what is necessary to gracefully stop the
process.  Now, for example, when the system enters runlevel3 (rc3.d), it
will execute the files (symbolic links) there which start with "S" and
automatically provide the "start" option for it.
I hope that helps.