[olug] services

Daniel Pfile pfiled at marietta.edu
Sat Sep 9 05:35:18 UTC 2000

well, ps aux | wc -l will get you the number of processes running on your
machine, not just services. I have 102 procs right now, and I'm not
running much in the way of services.

When you commented out the stuff in inetd.conf, did you restart inetd? try
giving it a kill -HUP <inetd's pid>; then see if that works. commenting
things out of /etc/services isn't needed. that just helps your os map the
proper name of the service to the port it's running on, it's more like a
database.

for things that run at startup (not in inetd, like apache) you can remove
the SxxServiceName file (xx being the number that dictates when the
service starts in relation to other services, eg, 01 first, 99 last). Make
sure you only remove things you're sure you don't need, or are sure are
services. You can also remove their respective KxxServiceName files (for
kill, instead of start) so thing's aren't run at shutdown to stop them
anymore. You can re-enable them again by making a symlink in that rcX.d
dir to the script in init.d again. You can also gracefully shutdown the
services by using that init.d script, so you don't have to
reboot. Something I do often, is disable the service in the rc dir, but
enable/disable it when needed via the init.d scripts. I've also written a
few custom init.d scripts for apps that don't come with them, it's pretty
simple using the included utility scripts, if you know some shell
scripting that is. Oh yah, you may hear those init scripts called SysV
init scripts, there are editors for SysV init scripts out there, and I bet
your distro has one. If you're on redhat, try linuxconf. There's lots more
to knowing how init scripts work, but I'll shut up now.

Good luck

| Daniel Pfile        | I'm too cool for a signature |
| pfiled at marietta.edu |                              |