[olug] Mesa/Glide issues

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Fri Sep 8 22:41:57 UTC 2000

Adam Lassek wrote:

> Voodoo3 2000.
>
> Vincent wrote:
> >
> > Adam Lassek wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there anyone here that has any experience getting these set up
> > > properly? I've been wrestling with them for a while with no success, and
> > > I've been trying to think of a good place to get help.
> > >
> > > I have mesa3d, glide_v3, glidectl and and glidesdk installed from rpm's
> > > off of suse's ftp. I also have the 3dfx device installed and loaded, and
> > > I got XFree86 4.01 working. Is there anything here that I'm missing? I'm
> > > using Quake3 for Linux as a test to get this working, and it runs at
> > > about 1-2 FPS and in software mode.

Have you gone through the instructions at

http://www.linuxvoodoo.org/drivers/cards/video/3dfx/banv3.html
and
http://linux.3dfx.com

I would be sure you have removed anything you may have already done and
start fresh with the instructions they provide.  I have it setup on my
system, except for XFree86-4.  I remember that the newest glide, I think
it's v3, will not run with quake properly and will make it slow using
software rendering.  I'm not sure about q3 though since I setup glide v2
before Q3 was out and it ran fine...