[olug] reinstall

Ted Milker tmilker at radiks.net
Sun Sep 3 23:56:30 UTC 2000

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 06:32:31PM +0000, mesc wrote:
> startx as user,it blinks like  its loading X windows  then it reverts
> back to the console.I  forgot to  copy the error msg so I could  read it
> in windows,next time I'm in  linux I'll do that.

Probably the mouse isn't set up right.  Possibly you don't have
the correct symlink to the necessary X server.

> Problem # 2 is my
> bastille file is corrupt so I connected to the `net to dl it  but my
> browser wouldn't go to bastile's  home page or anywhere else for that
> matter,it just gave said that page cannot be found.I checked my
> resolv.conf file and it looked  fine,are there any other files I might
> be overlooking that I might be overlooking?

Forgot to set a default gateway?  netstat -rn should tell you if
your routes are correct or not.  Make sure you have something
like:

0.0.0.0         216.229.15.201   0.0.0.0         UG       40 0 0 eth0

Ted