[olug] Meeting Topics

Jason Ferguson jferguson3 at home.com
Sat Oct 28 13:14:26 UTC 2000

Nate,

Unfortunately, we just covered security a few meetings back and probably wont
return to it for awhile.  However, I can make a few recommendations.

First, check out a program called nmap.  Nmap is a port scanning program
which is good for seeing what services are running on a given machine.  Now,
port scanning machines that are not on your network is a bad thing. but,
typing "nmap localhost" will tell you what is running on your machine. I
recommend shutting down anything you dont use.

Next, another program: pmfirewall.  Most of the people here swear by this
program, as it will automatically generate a script full of ipchains
statements for you based on your own requirements.  However, I find there to
be one drawback... you dont gain an understanding of what the firewall is
doing when you run a script like this.  The solution: dont assume that
pmfirewall is going to magically secure your system.  Run it, but take a look
at the script to start trying to understand what it actually does.

The is a book called "Linux Firewalls" out there.  Maybe someone (preferably
someone WITHOUT alot of firewall experience) would like to do a review for
the website.

Good luck, and let us know if you need more help.

Jason