[olug] Which Distribution

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Thu Oct 26 09:15:37 UTC 2000

On Red Hat, the file /etc/redhat-release contains the version of the
distribution.  For Mandrake, it's /etc/mandrake-release.  (I don't know
how new a user you are so I'll give you the ultra-newby intructions.)
To see what version you're running, simply print the contents of the
file using the command

cat /etc/dist-release

where "dist" is replaced by redhat or mandrake or whatever name is
appropriate.  Other Red Hat based distributions probably use a similar
mechanism.  Type

ls /etc/*-release

to see if you have such a file on your system.
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington