[olug] Redhat Versus Debian

Adam Lassek lunatik at radiks.net
Tue Oct 17 02:31:31 UTC 2000

Jason Ferguson wrote:

> Okay, as I mentioned yesterday, Redhat has gotten on my last nerve with
> 7.0 (my fault for upgrading, I spose).
>
> Two questions.
>
> One: How much of a shock am I in for when I switch?

I loaded Potato on one of my boxes recently, and it was pretty easy.  Some
of the file structure is a little different, but nothing difficult.

> Two: Are there any GOOD DETAILED guides out there?  Last time I tried, I
> couldnt figure out dpkg.

If you choose "Simple" install instead of advanced, it'll be easy. Last
time I tried installing Debian was slink,
and I was totally baffled by dselect. But you don't even have to see it in
Potato if you don't want to.