[olug] alternative logging method

dbw commando at robotz.com
Sat Oct 14 17:26:03 UTC 2000

I have a security related question.  As the recent rash of system
compromised / break in attempts has me concerned, I am trying to
look at alternative ways to increase security.

Without regards to the regular things, such as disabling services
or listening ports not needed and updating things, I am also looking
at ways to find out the intruder(s) origin.

When the system is compromised, the intruder almost always eliminates
any evidence of the intrusion by clearing log files and other
evidence.  I wondered if anyone has ever connected a printer to their
system and had a log, like the messages log, print directly to paper
rather than a file on the system that can be destroyed.

Can this be accomplished without using lpr and if so, would an
intruder be aware of it before the intrusion?  This is a log that
could not be destroyed, short of the hacker breaking into my house
and shredding the paper.

-derek

____   / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   commando at robotz.com   ___