[olug] ipchains/windows

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Sat Oct 14 11:07:17 UTC 2000

I'll leave your question about ipchains to one of the ipchains
enthusiasts on the list.  However, MS has traditionally manipulated
Windows to pad its bottom line.  Anyone who has manually set up
networking in Windows 95 has experienced this.  MS wanted everyone to
sign up for MSN so they made it difficult and confusing to configure
Windows 95 to connect to any other ISP.  Network configuration is spread
over several different dialog boxes that you have to access from several
different places in the GUI.  If they were truly aiming for
user-friendliness, the necessary functions would have been accessible
from a single point.

Another example is the very poor online documentation on Windows.  MS
wanted everyone to buy their printed manuals and/or pay for technical
support calls.

Speaking of MS, there is an excellent article in the November 2000 Wired
about the MS antitrust case.  It's 50 pages but it's very well written
and very detailed.  In the end, the author suggests that the almighty
Bill and his minions have fallen prey to their own hype and have lost
touch with reality.  It contains some amazing quotes and I found it to
be a very interesting read.

Mark
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington