[olug] Ideas for Organizing OLUG

John Kennedy jkennedy at orent.com
Wed Oct 11 13:51:23 UTC 2000

jferguson3 at home.com wrote:

> John Kennedy wrote:
>
> > jferguson3 at home.com wrote:
> > >

> > > 2.  Planning group.  A group of the regulars could meet regularly to
> > > decide what sort of topics could be discussed in the next 3-4 meetings
> > > (and where they would be held).  One of these people would have
> > > permission to update the web page with that information. Kinda like a
> > > "benevolent oligarchy".  However, the ideas the group comes up with
> > > would be posted on the mailing list so if there is a major problem,
> > > folks could point it out well in advance.
> >
> > Actually instead of the planners meeting in person there could be a 3rd
> > mailing list for them to kick ideas around.  I also thing there should
> > be "officers" like President, V.P., secretary, "marketing", a librarian,
> > the "planning commitee", etc.  It would give the group a bit more
> > credibility out in the real world...Keeping track of "members" wouldn't
> > hurt either.
> > (I REALLY think that the group should try and maintain some sort of
> > library so that people who are somewhat new to linux have a resource
> > available.)
> >

> Okay, the way things stand at the moment, there seem to be two "officers":
>
> Brian - Founder/President-By-Default
> Me - Publicity Guy/Guy who stands up at the end of the meeting to discuss
> what to do next time
>
> I think we need to do a little better than this is all.
>
> I like the library idea, but where can we keep it?  How about an online
> library (alot of ORA books are online) until we do have a place for it.
>
> The pizza idea was good, but I doubt its practical either.
>
> Jason

and vote at the next meeting.

There are a couple of ways that a library could work.  First everyone
could provide a list of the books they own (title, Author, year
published) that they would be willing to loan out to the "librarian".
The librarian would publish the list on the web site.  Those wanting to
borrow a book could e-mail the librarian who would then coordinate the
loan and keep track of whose books are where.
The second would be for people to donate books to the group (some
publishers may even provide copies for free).  The "librarian" would
bring the books to each meeting and keep track of who has what books.
The online concept is good but may bother someone with the copyrights.
I wouldn't mind doing this.  I already have a pretty extensive personal
library which I am trying to inventory at the moment.
For this to really work though we need to come up with a list of group
members before we start just handing out books.
Just a thought.

--
John Kennedy
UNIX System Administrator