[olug] Ideas for Organizing OLUG

Adam Lassek lunatik at radiks.net
Tue Oct 10 21:11:52 UTC 2000

jferguson3 at home.com wrote:

> Okay, this has been running through my head for a bit.  How can we get
> OLUG a little better organized? I'll start the ball rolling:
>
> 1.  Split the mailing list into OLUG-DISCUSS and OLUG-ANNOUNCE.
> OLUG-DISCUSS could be the high-volume one, and OLUG-ANNOUNCE would be
> meeting announcements and other general interest items (and restricted
> who could send to it).

I think this is a good idea. I'm on about four different mailing lists,
each of which are automatically routed to their own folders for later
reading, so an important announcement could pass me by.

> 2.  Planning group.  A group of the regulars could meet regularly to
> decide what sort of topics could be discussed in the next 3-4 meetings
> (and where they would be held).  One of these people would have
> permission to update the web page with that information. Kinda like a
> "benevolent oligarchy".  However, the ideas the group comes up with
> would be posted on the mailing list so if there is a major problem,
> folks could point it out well in advance.

Do we even have that many members? :)

> 3.  "Newbie Time" at the meetings.  30 minutes or so of each meeting
> would be devoted to "newbie" topics.  Even if this is beginner stuff, I
> think everyone could learn from it.

Help for newbies is always a good thing. Hell, even those of us who have
been using Linux for a while might get something out of it.

> 4.  Distribution of flyers.  I still need help getting flyers out.

Student Services over at Metro has a whole bunch of flyers and stuff out
on a table, I've been meaning to ask them if it would be okay to put a
stack of ours there. Is the flyer for next meeting done?

> 5.  My personal favorite: Pizza at the meetings.

I'd be happy to chip in a few bucks for this.