[olug] Ideas for Organizing OLUG

jferguson3 at home.com jferguson3 at home.com
Tue Oct 10 22:24:04 UTC 2000

John Kennedy wrote:

> jferguson3 at home.com wrote:
> >

> > 2.  Planning group.  A group of the regulars could meet regularly to
> > decide what sort of topics could be discussed in the next 3-4 meetings
> > (and where they would be held).  One of these people would have
> > permission to update the web page with that information. Kinda like a
> > "benevolent oligarchy".  However, the ideas the group comes up with
> > would be posted on the mailing list so if there is a major problem,
> > folks could point it out well in advance.
>
> Actually instead of the planners meeting in person there could be a 3rd
> mailing list for them to kick ideas around.  I also thing there should
> be "officers" like President, V.P., secretary, "marketing", a librarian,
> the "planning commitee", etc.  It would give the group a bit more
> credibility out in the real world...Keeping track of "members" wouldn't
> hurt either.
> (I REALLY think that the group should try and maintain some sort of
> library so that people who are somewhat new to linux have a resource
> available.)

Okay, the way things stand at the moment, there seem to be two "officers":

Brian - Founder/President-By-Default
Me - Publicity Guy/Guy who stands up at the end of the meeting to discuss
what to do next time

I think we need to do a little better than this is all.

I like the library idea, but where can we keep it?  How about an online
library (alot of ORA books are online) until we do have a place for it.

The pizza idea was good, but I doubt its practical either.

Jason