[olug] I'm linux free :-) ?BSD installfest anyone?

puzzled at home.com puzzled at home.com
Mon Oct 9 10:43:23 UTC 2000

      I did something truly gruesome to my redhat 6.2 install involving
kernel 2.2.17, VLANs, IPv6, and a lot of other things one shouldn't be
doing on a machine you expect to use daily - it refused to run X and
network services became unstable. The redhat 6.2 disk I had kept dying
during install with complaints about anaconda and I didn't feel like
fighting my way through it so ...

   The FreeBSD 4.0 install media was sitting on top of my monitor and I
decided to take the plunge. I'd already built a OpenBSD firewall with
help from Chris Garrity and I'd converted my little mediaGX box to a
graphical FBSD install earlier in the week.

   The whole process is fairly painless - you get a copy of Greg Lehey's
The Complete FreeBSD and away you go. That book covers 3.x rather than
4.x FBSD but its still a pretty good resource.

   I have a 4.0 gig primary disk and a 27.0 gig secondary. The secondary
is mostly MP3s and vmware NT installs with plenty of room free. I copied
over /home and a few other things, then installed and configured FBSD.

  The only real excitement I'm having is mounting the 27 gig ext2
filesystem now that I've got FBSD running. The linux install crashed
rather than shutting down gracefully and I went ahead to the BSD install
without cycling it to make sure that the second disk was marked clean
for fsck. FBSD can't fsck an ext2 disk so I am stuck mounting it read
only until I figure something out. I'm going to make a linux boot disk
(trinux?) and manually fsck the disk and see if that doesn't fix the
read/write access issue.

   I know Chris is also going through the same stuff but he is braver
than I am - he is running OpenBSD with X11(!). I believe we have a
NetBSD guru that reads this as well ... if there is interest perhaps its
time for a ?BSD installfest???