[olug] Server mail retention

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Mon Nov 20 03:14:19 UTC 2000

> If I go to my windows side and set netscape to leave mail on the server
> when I read it, and then I go to RedHat and look up mail that I have
> viewed on windows but the settings in the netscape in RedHat are to
> remove mail from the server when I view it.  Then can I still retrieve
> that piece of mail from the server when I go back to windows?

No, if Netscape on RedHat has downloaded the mail but not left the mail on
the server you're very much out of luck on Windows when you want to check
your email.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way (like, 1998 :) back when I was
using Netscape for email under Linux & Windows I found it worked really
well to use a symbolic link to force the use of the same mailboxes
irregardless of which operating system I was running.

I had Windows C: mounted under /dos1; under Linux my Netscape mailboxes
were "/dos1/Program Files/Netscape/Communicator/<profile>/Mail" (or
something like that).  Then I did "ln -sf /dos1/Program
Files/Netscape/Communicator/<profile>/Mail ~/nsmail" (that should all be
one line).  From that point on, I had no trouble using Netscape for email
under Linux & Windows.

Of course, I would be careful to make backup copies of the files under
~/nsmail before you do the "ln -sf ..." command - otherwise you *will*
loose your mail folders.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: BDA4 C23C 1989 31FF CBE8  7EB4 6CA7 9636 941E 8451
GPG key id: 941E8451
GPG public key: http://www.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/public-key.asc