[olug] Scripting

Andrew Embury drazak at materiamagica.com
Fri Nov 17 20:57:06 UTC 2000

I'm scripting a system where about 3k users will get added/deleted to a
RedHat 6.2 system several times a week.

Right now I have a perl script that just uses system() to shell out to the
useradd command, and then passwd to set the password.  This works fine,
but is painfully slow.  I think I might need to generate the passwd and
shadow file manually using crypt() or something.  Can someone provide an
overview of how this works on RedHat and any problems I might run into?

For example,

How do I tell if /etc/shadow is using MD5 passwords? What problems are PAM
going to cause me? Can I remove shadow passwords somehow from the system
and just use standard unix passwords?  (I dont need them in this system,
all accounts are ftp only).

Thanks for the help.

_Drew