[OLUG] internet

Dave Burchell burchell at inetnebr.com
Mon May 22 19:50:20 UTC 2000

Don't be too quick to assume that if you can reach some sites but not
others the problem is at your end.  The Internet could simply be broken ;-)

Seriously, at any given time part of the Internet is always broken.
Sometimes it is a large part that connects you to some of your favorite
sites, and sometimes it is the favorite sites themselves.

Perhaps your route to the anonymizer is good, and the anonymizer's
route to slashdot.org is good, but your route to slashdot.org is not.
This could happen because of routing policies (or router configuration
mistakes).

If you really want to prove the problem is your machine then boot another
machine on the same LAN as the first (or using the same ISP, account, and
phone line if you do dial-up access) and make sure that computer can reach
the sites the other can't.

root says:

> I just got rid of Red Hat and installed SuSE, and I think I have it
> mostly set up, but I'm having a weird problem while browsing the net. I
> can access certain sites, like www.userfriendly.org just fine, but when
> I try going to slashdot.org it can't load it. I can't even traceroute or
> ping it. I tried accessing it though anonymizer.com and it worked just
> fine, so there's some type of problem on my end. Any suggestions?

Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/burchell/                  burchell at acm.org