[OLUG] help with cron/user services

puzzled puzzled at home.com
Mon May 8 03:19:15 UTC 2000

   I've written a perl script that scans inboxes and pulls the date info, sender, and subject ... it
won't take much longer and I'll have it massaged to the point where it'll page via a Sprint PCS
phone.

    I am clueless as to how to neatly integrate this into cron. The box where email accumulates is
now tightly controlled and maybe four or five people will make use of this program - I suppose I'll
hand configure it for our environment but if I am going to release it there will have to be features
to let users control ie a .page.allow and .page.deny in the home directory of each user and a
.pagerc for turning it on and off, setting target address, and so forth.

  How would you set up a generalized cron job? The script would have to get a list of users from
somewhere (by scanning /home/* directories for a .pagerc?) and then reading the details from each
config file?

   I'd like to hear if anyone else has done something like this ....