[OLUG] Kernel Source

mesc mescie at home.com
Wed Mar 29 01:16:57 UTC 2000

I need some help :) I'm trying to get my sound working by recompiling
the kernel.The first kernel I compiled  booted fine and the sound worked
fine on most wavs but the others just made static,so I compiled kernel
#2 (making another directory for it)but it wouldn't boot.Then I
discovered I made a bonehead mistake,I must have overwritten the
original kernel source,so I copied the kernel source from my mandrake cd
to /usr/src and when I installed the RPM it created the directory
/usr/src/2.2.14 and installed the modules in /lib/modules.    I then
tried to run make xconfig from /usr/src /linux after creating the
symbolic link  from 2.2.14 and I got make: *** No rule to make target
`xconfig'.  Stop.  I was hoping to compile in my sound and  my ethernet
card.After 2.2.14-12mdk which contained 1 module sheep_net.o and the
other directory 2.2.14-15mdk which contained the rest of the neccessary
modules.Any idea why I can't run make xconfig?
    Also for cleanliness's sake and my sanity can i just remove the
kernel sources I will never use from /usr/src and their corresponding
modules  from /lib/modules or do the kernels have to actually be
uninstalled and if so how would I do that?

        Thank you,Gary Martin