[OLUG] Make error

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Thu Mar 16 15:21:19 UTC 2000

Kent: There are a couple of things to try here, assuming that you have
gcc installed. (you wouldn't be able to build anything if gcc weren't
installed. ever.)

Instead of typing 'make' for your make command, do this:

make CC=gcc

This forces the makefile variable CC to be 'gcc' instead of the default
value 'cc'. This has the same effect as adding this line to your
top-level Makefile:

CC=gcc

Now, if you're using 'rpm --rebuild' to build the prog from source, you
may have to curtail it so you actually get a chance to issue the
modified 'make' command.  say:

rpm -bp xxx.xxx.xxx.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/xxx.xxx
make CC=gcc

If that doesn't work (i think it should if you have gcc), you could try
making a symlink to the gcc command named cc, i.e.

ln -s /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/cc

and try to build again. I'm not sure what the consequences of using the
symlink solution are, but probably not too bad, since you don't have it
installed anyway!

Kind of messy, isn't it.

ktb wrote:

> I did a 'apropos cc' and a 'man cc' and the 'gcc' man page came up.  I'm
> wondering if it isn't a part of gcc and the version of gcc I'm using is the
> wrong one for XFree86-3.3.6.  I ran out of time last night but I'm going to
> check on that later.
> kent

* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus