[OLUG] fsck is deleting my files

Adam Lassek lunatik at radiks.net
Mon Mar 13 00:51:23 UTC 2000

Mike McNally wrote:

> I suffer from occassional momentary voltage outages at my residence, and
> I have not purchased a ups.  I use my pc's thinking, if I save
> frequently I don't need a ups just yet.  But here's the problem:  When
> my winbox and linuxbox reset:
> 1) the winbox reboots running scandisk and automatically fixing any
> problem with no data loss;
> 2) the linuxbox requires root to run fsck, which I do, and I answer yes
> to the questions regarding do I want this or that fixed, and it deletes
> pretty much any files created with vim in the last day or so.
>
> So what's the deal with this fsck program?  I see that you can run
> e2fsck with a -n flag to tell it no to all questions.  How should I run
> this program to avoid this happening again?

The deal with fsck is that since the ext2 filesystem isn't journaled, it
doesn't save the filesystem until it's unmounted, and if it's not
unmounted correctly (power outage, reset, etc.), you'll very likely lose
anything you did recently. If this is the case, you deffinately need to
consider a UPS, if nothing more then for the sake of your hardware. Bad
bad things can happen to a computer on an unpredictable power line.

It also wouldn't hurt to look into upgrading to a journaling filesystem
on Linux--I believe ext3 is in alpha, and there's ReiserFS as well,
which is even included with SuSE 6.3 if I'm not mistaken.