[OLUG] fsck is deleting my files

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Sun Mar 12 01:32:25 UTC 2000

I suffer from occassional momentary voltage outages at my residence, and
I have not purchased a ups.  I use my pc's thinking, if I save
frequently I don't need a ups just yet.  But here's the problem:  When
my winbox and linuxbox reset:
1) the winbox reboots running scandisk and automatically fixing any
problem with no data loss;
2) the linuxbox requires root to run fsck, which I do, and I answer yes
to the questions regarding do I want this or that fixed, and it deletes
pretty much any files created with vim in the last day or so.

So what's the deal with this fsck program?  I see that you can run
e2fsck with a -n flag to tell it no to all questions.  How should I run
this program to avoid this happening again?

Mike