[OLUG] /dev/modem lock grrrrrr :)

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Fri Mar 3 22:27:57 UTC 2000

Let me tell you what I think you are saying, and how I would fix it (to my
understanding).  I'm a little confused by what you are saying, but if the problem is
what I think it is, the answer isn't too complex.

I think you have an internal modem that is using COM3.  It works fine in Windows, but not
in Linux.

If that is true, let me tell you what is causing the problems.  In the wonderful world of
Intel hardware (yes, this is something you can blame on Intel, *not* M$), COM1 and COM3 share
the same IRQ (IRQ 4, to be exact).  Even if the ports are even different *physically*, they
share that IRQ.  It really annoys me, actually.  Windows knows automatically that there is a
difference between COM1 and COM3 (all that time M$ spent in bed with Intel paid off, I
guess).  However, Linux doesn't.  But you can tell it what is going on.

In every distro, there is a utility called "setserial".  Usually it runs on bootup, but for
only COM1 and COM2, not for COM3.  So become root and type this command:
	"setserial /dev/ttyS2 autoconfig"

(Note that /dev/ttyS2 is COM3 which is also /dev/cua2).
That should tell the kernel about it.  If you want to see info about /dev/ttyS2, type this:
	"setserial /dev/ttyS2"

And you will see somthing like this:
/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4

I can tell the system what UART I have, but I have never found out why I should.  I've
can't tell the difference.

Anyway, after running setserial, try your modem now.  If you get it to work after running
setserial, you need to put it into your boot sequence somewhere.  I run SuSE, and my proper
spot is in /etc/rc.d/serial.  I have no idea where the right spot for Mandrake is.

If you already did all this - sorry, but it sounds like the problem.  If you didn't do this
and it still doesn't work - you still needed to do this anyway.  Please put it into your boot
sequence.  You'll thank me later.

- mikeh

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 11:10:18AM +0000, mesc wrote:
> Mike McNally
>
>     Thank you for your copy of your options file.It was similar to how I
> had mine set up.I've since purchased mandrake 7.0 and it now finds com 1
> (the port the modem is on) but it can't see the modem.I've narrowed my
> problem down to the fact that the modem's jumpers are set for com 1 but
> it won't dial out in windows but in it's PnP mode it's installed on com
> 3 and it will dial out (I'm online with it now) I've tried every I/O and
> irq combination possible I think and still no luck.Any more  ideas
> anyone ? :)
>

>             Thank you,Gary

Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net