[OLUG] {OT}Network questions

Dave Burchell burchell at inetnebr.com
Thu Mar 2 15:30:52 UTC 2000

Phil Brutsche says:

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...

> > I've been playing with two computers networked through a cross over
> > cable.  I've got a P75 I want to set up as a firewall now and start
> > working with IPchains.  I've read through the Ethernet HOWTO and I
> > still have some questions about the hardware.  I've got two NICs that
> > run at 10Mbps.  I need to buy another NIC so I was wondering if there
> > is any reason to purchase one that runs 10/100Mbps?  I mean I will
> > have two computers hooked into the firewall.  For my small system is
> > 100Mbps really needed?

> No, you don't need another NIC unless your internet connection is a cable
> modem or DSL line.  If, for some reason, you do need another NIC, go for
> the 10/100 - these days they seem to be easier to find that an 10Mbps-only
> card, and are generally faster than a 10Mbps card anyway (10/100s are
> typically better designed since they need to get data to the card real
> fast anyway for 100Mbps mode, which has the side effect of speeding up
> 10Mbps connections).

For your small system, 100Mbps is almost certainly not needed.  Phil
makes some good points, but IMHO it all depends on the cost.  If you
can get 10/100 cards for $50 and 10 Mbps cards for $15, go with the 10
Mbps (in your application).  If the price diff is $5 or $10, strongly
consider the 10/100.

As long as a 56Kbps modem is your slowest link, you won't notice the
difference between a 100 Mbps LAN and a 10 Mbps LAN.  I doubt you would
notice it with an ADSL connection, either.

But for a different situation you may well come up with a different
answer, of course.

BTW, I use 10base2 (coax) ethernet at home, so I never have to worry
about hub failure or running out of ports.

--
Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619