[OLUG] {OT}Network questions

ktb xyf at inetnebr.com
Thu Mar 2 13:58:29 UTC 2000

I've been playing with two computers networked through a cross over
cable.  I've got a P75 I want to set up as a firewall now and start
working with IPchains.  I've read through the Ethernet HOWTO and I still
have some questions about the hardware.  I've got two NICs that run at
10Mbps.  I need to buy another NIC so I was wondering if there is any
reason to purchase one that runs 10/100Mbps?  I mean I will have two
computers hooked into the firewall.  For my small system is 100Mbps
really needed?

I also understand you can use two NICs on your firewall computer one
hooked to the internet instead of using a modem.  Would this be faster
than hooking up to the net with a modem?  At this point my network won't
be hooked up 24-7, basically a dial up.  How does a person hook into a
phone line with a NIC given the cables are different?

As far as the hub goes do you have to set things up under Linux to run a
hub?  I haven't come across anything that mentions installing a hub or
anything.  Does the hub just take care of itself?  Do I have to worry
about some hubs not working with Linux?  I'm using D-Link cards and I
was thinking I would use one of their cheap hubs.
Thanks,
kent