[OLUG] Helixcode

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Wed Jun 28 03:14:48 UTC 2000

gdm (the GNOME replacement for xdm, right?) has to run as root, since
that is what use you log into Xwindows (i.e. "The X-Login").

However, the whole GNOME suite shouldn't have to run as root.  I use
regular Gnome (as opposed to Helix GNOME) but I don't run it as root.  I
would check permission of the GNOME exe's and make sure that somethin
like this is in your .xinitrc file:

/opt/gnome/bin/gmc &
exec /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-wm

- mikeh

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 09:53:22PM -0500, Adam Lassek wrote:
> Ever since I installed Helixcode Gnome on my system, it will only let me
> run as root. Apparently, gdm won't let me run it as a non-privilaged
> user. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas
GnuPG key: http://www.binary.net/thehaas/mikeh.gpg

"What good is having someone who can walk on water if you don't follow
in his footsteps?"