[OLUG] statd

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Fri Jun 9 06:25:03 UTC 2000

mesc wrote:

> i just dl'ed and installed the newest version of saint and scanned my
> box with it and it found one possible vulnerability.....statd....i saw a
> rpc.statd in  ps aux  so i killed it yet when i opened linuxconf in the
> start sevices menu (as root) it gave no listing on statd  or
> rpc.statd,either did ntsysv.I'm not running nfs so i can elimanate this
> at bootup.I think i can comment it out in the appropiate file in rc.d
> but i'm relatively new to linux yet so i'm unsure as to which file to
> look in.Can someone enlighten me as to which  file?Or maybe someone
> knows a better way.
>
>             Thanx,mesc

type the following command:

find /etc/rc.d/ -name ???rstatd

This will show you the files which start/stop rstatd.  The ones
beginning with an S start it and the ones beginning with a K kill it.
Just append an X to the beginning of these files.
example:
mv /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20rstatd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/xS20rstatd