[OLUG] Hardware or Kernel Bug?

tetherow at nol.org tetherow at nol.org
Tue Jun 6 20:54:30 UTC 2000

On  6 Jun, Chris Garrity wrote:
> 	Compiling on a RH6.2 SMP kernel I'm getting 'gcc cannot make binaries'
> and 'ld' seg-faults.  But, these problems are intermittent.  I can rerun
> whatever 'make' I'm using and the problem seems to take care of itself.
> I'll get the above errors something like 4 out of 5 times on a
> compile... any ideas?
>
> 	This happened on the same machine when running RH5.2.  It's a Dual PPro
> 150... Hardware? Bad RAM? Kernel Bug?

Probably flaky hardware.  Try

- checking the RAM, www.freshmeat.net has a couple of memory checkers on
  it.

- try running on each processor seperately to see if it is a specific
  processor.

- check heat issues (shut the machine down let it set for a while, fire
  it up and make your kernel and see if it dies)

The next thing to suspect is the MB which obviously would be the
hardest to check unless you have another spare dual MB laying around.

Sam Tetherow                           tetherow at nol.org
Director of Development
Nebrask@ Online                        http://www.nol.org/