[OLUG] Meeting 6-18

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Thu Jun 1 03:32:53 UTC 2000

> Phil Brutsche wrote:
> >
> > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
> >

> >  * Show off some of the neat stuff in kernel 2.3 (that's what will
> >    eventually become 2.4.x)
>
> We could incorporate the neat stuff demo in an Installfest. 2.4.x is
> here.

Actually, 2.4.x isn't here.  What's in the '/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4'
directories is '2.4.0test1', aka '2.3.99-pre10-3', aka
2.3.5x-or-something-or-other.  Linus Torvalds, for some really weird
reason, has decided on a Microsoftish versioning scheme.  As a co-worker
of mine said when he found out, "that's gay!"

In actuality, 2.4.x isn't even close to being released; there are still
big problems to resolved - there were problems in the VM (virtual memory)
subsystem that nuked performance (thankfully those have been fixed) - and
there remain performance problems in the I/O subsystem (disk access) - I
have a SCSI HD that pulls 12MB/sec under 2.2.x.  Under 2.3.99-pre9, that
dropped to 1MB/sec.

That still doesn't count the nasty stability problems various people have
been reporting in the last week or so, or the fact that there are still
some major architecture changes planned.

Beyond that, we can still have fun with some of the 2.3.x releases :) I've
had very good results with 2.3.99-pre5 on my firewall doing NAT over my
shiny new cable modem.  Two words: netfilter rocks.  Sometimes I wonder
how anyone got anything done with ipchains :)

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein