[olug] debian/ipfwadm problem; was: can't ping winbox

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Mon Jul 31 23:11:27 UTC 2000

Ok, maybe it is the networking.  hosts.conf ok.  hosts.allow = ALL: ALL
(first get it working).  I removed a few comments in the inetd.conf line
to make sure everything is wide open there.  Is it kill -SIGHUP
<inetd.pid> to get the inetd.conf file re-read?

hostname command prints the hostname p120
hostname -d prints the domain name mjm.net
hosts file
	127.0.0.1	localhost
	192.168.1.1	p120 linuxbox
	192.168.1.2	c366 win98box

ping localhost		success
ping 127.0.0.1		success
ping p120		failure
ping 192.168.1.1	failure

network unreachable, is the err msg

I've always been able to sort these files out.  This time it's a little
different.  I answered a question wrong re gateway in the install and
there are likely some problems in one of the init.d/ files.

network
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}

and I removed following two lines
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

And it still doesn't work, any ideas?

mike