[olug] Dual Boot Sparc

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Thu Jul 27 18:29:54 UTC 2000

My first thought was that, even though I don't know anything about the
Solaris boot process, I have read the LILO documentation carefully
several times and it doesn't seem like it would be difficult.  Since you
sparked (heh, heh) my curiousity, I did quick searches of LDP and Google
and came up with the following pages

The Linux+Solaris Mini HOWTO:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux%2BSolaris.html

This pertains to x86 hardware.

Sun's description of how to do it on x86 hardware:

http://www.sun.com/software/linux/docs/dual_boot.html

The portion of the Sun site that pertains to Linux:

http://www.sun.com/software/linux/index.html

A page contains a description of how to set up dual-booting for Solaris
and Linux.  (It's near the bottom of the page.)  The author doesn't
describe his hardware.  I'm guessing that it's x86.  Apparently the key
is using the Solaris boot loader rather than LILO.

http://www.happyhacker.org/hhlist/udigest3_8b_00.shtml

There were technical difficulties when I tried searching so I can't tell
you if there's anything there.

http://lists.openresources.com/Debian/debian-sparc/maillist.html

might be a good place to look. There are a couple of threads that you
can find searching for the word "dual" with your browser.  Not a lot of
info in the threads but maybe some hints on how to deal with specific
problems.

Ultralinux (Linux on SPARC) web site:

http://www.ultralinux.org/

Only four distributions (Red Hat, Caldera, Mandrake, Debian) currently
support the SPARC architecture.  No information about dual booting in
the FAQ and no other documentation that I could find.

None of these documents spells everything out for the hardware you have
in mind so it isn't clear how difficult it will be.

Good luck,

Mark
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington