[olug] Network toture test

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jul 24 20:05:53 UTC 2000

Ok guys here's the deal.

I'm being given a network to toture test, and I want ideas on what types of
tests I should run.

Briefly here's the situation.

The network is IP running over Ethernet.  Part of the topology is wireless,
part of it's WAN and part of it's 100base-T.

So far I've thought of:

Basic connectivity - Does the network work at all?
Peak load test -  All client machines hitting the server at once, and
repeatedly in a very short amount of time
Sustained load test - Client machines making several requests over a period
of time, and increasing the load until the network is nearing saturation.
Error tolerance - How it works during in a malfunctioning state.  I'm
thinking I'm going to have one station pinging the broadcast continually
and see if everything still works.

Let me know what you think.  This is a rare opportunity and I want to make
sure that we look good if we give this idea our stamp of approval.

Thanks,
Bill