[olug] debian init script question

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Sun Jul 16 20:34:53 UTC 2000

> I'm switching from mandrake to debian now...
>
> Where should I put the line:
> 	SVGATextMode 116x40x9 		(works great w/ my diamond trios64 s3 card)
>
> I tried putting it in /etc/rc.boot/x (where x is an exec file with the
> line above in it, and when that didn't work I put it directly in
> /etc/init.d/rcS (where I don't think it belongs).  Even that didn't
> work.

You're right - it doesn't belong in /etc/init.d/rcS.  Since you're using
slink, you should be putting it in a script under /etc/rc.boot.

What's the contents of /etc/rc.boot/x?

> I've yet to find and remove the xdm&banner crap... could that stuff be
> overriding these commands?

If X11 is running at the end of boot SVGATextMode won't matter much.  Try
removing /etc/rc2.d/S*xdm, reboot, and see what affect that has.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein