[olug] accounts

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Wed Jul 5 20:41:24 UTC 2000

perhaps you don't have setuid on the ppp program???

as root, try

chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd
chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd

Note: If you don't have redhat, the pppd might not be located in
/usr/sbin.

tbrown wrote:

> I have just this week gotten an old computer and finally i can get on
> the internet with it.  My good one the fancy on with all the whistles n
> things will not connect tot he internet.  but!!!!!!
> Now, I guess, since i configured ppp and the modem with root as my
> account it will not let me use  my lesser account to use ppp to connect
> it asks for my root password and when I give it , I get back that there
> is already another instance running ...  What do I do about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Nate

* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus