[olug] Cable Modem

ninfem at juno.com ninfem at juno.com
Tue Jul 4 20:52:04 UTC 2000

I'm a real newbie.. could someone tell me how to
 ..set up my gateway, DNS and ip information?
I've dropped out of using linux for a bit because
of working too much and have forgotten alot :(
I'd appreciate any help.

Rebecca

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 13:47:7 -0600 David A Davidson
<davida_davidson at yahoo.com> writes:
> There isn't really that much to configure. Make sure your network
> card is supported
> in the kernel. Most are already included in the kernel. Next you
> need to set up your
> gateway, DNS and ip information. Reboot your machine and you should
> be ready
> to go. There is nothing to set up for the cable modem. Since you may
> have an always
> on connection you may want to set up a firewall. You'll be surprised
> how often
> your ports may be checked.
>
> At 7/4/00 11:49:00 AM, you wrote:
> >I have ordered Cox at home.  I am wondering how to set up the modem
> for use
> >with linux.
> >I asked if they could setup for me for linux but they do not
> officially
> >support linux
> >I know that the cable modem will work with linux so i need to know
> how
> >it's done.
> >Can anyone here help me or steer me to help.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Nate

~~Rebecca~~

-------End Message --- Begin Spam ----------