[OLUG] Network Collisions

Dave Burchell burchell at inetnebr.com
Mon Jan 31 17:17:50 UTC 2000

Chad S. Lauritsen says:

> Dave Burchell wrote:

> > I recommend the book _Internetworking with TCP/IP_ by Douglas E. Comer
> > (Vol. 1, section 2.4 of the second edition, ISBN 0-13-468505-9) as a
> > great place to learn about ethernet.  Comer also has a more general book
> > called _Computer Networks and Internets_ (ISBN 0130836176) which is even
> > better for novices.

> This web site is a great resource for ethernet info:
> http://www.ots.utexas.edu/ethernet/ethernet.html

I own a copy of the Comer book, so if anyone would like me to bring it
to a meeting, just ask.

> > I'll be happy to give a talk on LANs at a future OLUG meeting if there
> > is demand.  (We can even play "ethernet" and "token ring" with humans to
> > illustrate the concepts; sound like fun? :-)

> Deebu-san: I have yet to make it to a meeting, but I for one think that
> demonstrating networking topologies like this sounds like a hoot. That would
> probably bring me in :-)

Cool.  We could also set up some actual computers with some actual NICs
on a small LAN.  Perhaps I could do the whacky demos if someone else
wants to set up a demonstration network.  (Of course, at CSM we already
have access to a fully configured, working LAN, but it might be good to see
one built step-by-step.)

--
Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619