[OLUG] Collisions?

brian at cbiowa.com brian at cbiowa.com
Mon Jan 31 07:50:00 UTC 2000

Here is the network senerio that I am working with right now.  It is
nothing elaborate.  Good enough for home use.  I did have the
misconception that I could expect 10 of something.  I know enough about
network to ask those really annoying stupid questions.  I don't know if
I was expecting bits or bytes.  I skipped that class in college.

1) (Server) dual pII 233 with Slackware 4.0 Kernel 2.2.13 and DFE-530TX
PCI NIC Card
2) (Client) Toshiba Laptop Pentium 233 w/Win95 and 3COM PCMCIA NIC Card
3) (Client) Toshiba Laptop Pentium 166 w/Win95 and 3COM PCMCIA NIC Card
These are all connected with a 24 port D-Link 10 M/bit hub.

	My network has all 100 Meg cards with a 10 Meg hub.  I got a realy good
deal on a 24 port hub and so I am too cheap to go out an buy a 4 port
100 Meg hub to get the full capability of my network.  So far I haven't
found the need.  I was just looking at trying to make an alright setup
better.  From what you are saying, what I have is as good as I am going
to make it?

Super-User wrote:

> brian at cbiowa.com says:
>
> >       The reason I even had the question is because I wanted to test out the
> > speed of my network.  I used an extremely big file and ftp.  I expected
> > somewhere around 10M/s and I got 6M/s.  This was what looked like an
> > obvious place to start looking .
>
> >              Brian Weber
> >          Computer Consultant
> >              Cap Gemini
> >       brian at mail.cbiowa.com
>
> Why did you expect 10M/s?  Did you expect 10 Mbps (megabits per sec.)
> or 10 MBps (megabytes per sec.)?
>
> Are you running 100 Mbps ethernet cards or 10 Mbps?  If 100, do you
> have a fast hub?
>
> If you are running 10 Mbps ethernet cards (or even one 10 Mbps card) on
> the machines you are exchanging data between, then you should not
> expect a 10 Mbps transfer rate.  For 10 Mbps ethernet cards, 10 Mbps is
> a signaling rate, not the rate you would expect data to be transfered
> between two computers running FTP (say) over TCP/IP.  The 10 Mbps
> signaling rate serves as a theoretical upper bound; you'll never see
> that rate of actual data transfer in the situation I'm describing.  A
> data transfer rate of 6 Mbps doing FTP sounds about right to me.
>
> Tell us more about your net, Brian: machine speed, type and speed of NICs,
> type and speed of hub, OS of test machines (hope I didn't miss all this
> before).
>
> --
> Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
> Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619
> http://incolor.inetnebr.com/burchell/                  burchell at acm.org

             Brian Weber
         Computer Consultant
             Cap Gemini