[OLUG] Collisions?

Adam Lassek lunatik at radiks.net
Fri Jan 28 21:49:16 UTC 2000

Yeah, but unless it's a serious problem, it's not really worth it. The
contention method ethernet uses was specifically designed to detect and work
around collisions. My friends and I set up a LAN party on the weekends, and I
know we have a buttload of collisions going on, just between four machines.  It
doesn't seem to effect the bandwidth at all, though. We did it with a switch
once, and I don't recall a difference.

Tim Russell wrote:

> It's easy to get rid of collisions!
>
> Just replace the hub with a switch, and make sure all your Ethernet adapters
> are full-duplex.  You're done.
>
> --
>             "One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
>             "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

God, root, what is difference? - Pitr