[OLUG] SCSI vs. IDE Burner

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 21:39:09 UTC 2000

Why would an ATAPI drive need to be set up with SCSI
emulation?  I would assume the newest kernels would
take care of that.  I said before that the SCSI is
more expensive.  This is because I don't have a SCSI
card and would have to purchase one.  If you already
have SCSI then the price would be the same.  But if
you already have SCSI then you know how to run it and
it would be easy to set up.  I have no SCSI experience
and therefore would have to learn about the SCSI
workings of linux making it harder (more time
consuming) to set up.  I could always say it is too
easy and let somebody else do it though. :)  (Where's
Phil?)

Vincent you mentioned your system and that you like
the Plextor SCSI burner and CDROM.  Is there any
reason that an IDE burner with a 4MB buffer couldn't
do as good a job?  Is IDE more CPU intensive than
SCSI?  Why?

--- Adam Lassek <lunatik at radiks.net> wrote:
> Easy to set up? Okay, so how do you do it then? I've
> been told it has to be
> run with SCSI emulation, but I have yet to get that
> to work
>
> Eric Penne wrote:
>
> > Paul told me to ask.
> >
> > Why choose a SCSI expensive burner vs. an IDE
> burner,
> > when IDE is so easy to setup and cheaper?
> Especially
> > when you can get Hewlett-Packard burners that
> aren't
> > too bad or the PLEXTOR ATAPI burner.
> >
> > I'm looking for experiences from Cd burner users
> on
> > both sides.
> >
> > =====
> > Eric Penne